I had the opportunity to live in Ethiopia for an entire summer about 11 years ago, and I must say, it was one of my best life experiences to date. I had the rare chance to travel with one of my Ethiopian professors, and 2 other classmates. We assisted him in conducting Malaria research, and in my free time I fully immersed in the culture. I learned so much about the people, food, history, and culture. But best of all, I really grew fond of the Ethiopian people. They were so very welcoming to me, and treated me like one of their own. I felt I had "gone home", as it was my first trip to the African Continent.
I lived in the homes near Bole (Airport) Road, I frequented the "Juice Bar" and Mercado for shopping. I went to the market to get fresh fruit, and vegtables every couple days. I became a temporary vegetarian because I just couldn't swallow eating all the "fresh meat". I could not bear the slaughter, so I gave it up all together. I guess I'm a processed meat kind of girl. I can only eat it, if I don't see it alive. Needless to say, I lost about 30 pounds (Whoo Hooo!! Sadly, it all came back). I mastered travel on the "blue mini-bus", and I managed to attend a wedding, graduation party, coffee ceremonies, and several get-togethers with friends I made while there. But all the while, I couldn't ignore the stark contrast between rich and poor. Given that I am a bit of a social activist, I knew that I would be back in some capacity in the future.
So when the opportunity presented for International Adoption, we decided to go for it. I love kids, and I love international travel, so who could resist the opportunity. There are so many children who truly need families, why should we not give back when we have been so blessed? This decision was a no brainer for us as we had always planned to adopt. Besides, I've never been one to believe that you must birth a child in order to mother/father him/her. Or that you have to have a blood tie to be family.
So there you have it.
No comments:
Post a Comment