Sunday, March 22, 2009

Ethiopian Dinner




This weekend, we had fun at an outing sponsored by families in the Mid-Atlantic Ethiopian Adoption yahoo group. There were abut 50 people there. We were all either in process, paperchasing, or home with kids. Some drove from as far as New Jersey to participate. We met for good food at Dukem Restaurant in Baltimore. It was a nice experience to meet other families, and enjoy Ethiopian food. I met the cutest little 1 year old named Elijah; he's been home since September. I wish I'd remembered to take pictures (Oh well). There were also 2 older girls present, 13 and 10 or 11, I believe. It's fascinating how well they have learned English.  Kids definitely pick things up quickly. They didn't remember much Amharic, but I'm sure it's hard to maintain the language when you don't speak it everyday. I really hope we can learn Amharic, and help our baby to learn Amharic when we bring her home.

The meal looked just like the one above, but the Injera (spongy bread) tasted alot different than the one I remember eating during the time that I lived in Ethiopia. The Injera in Ethiopia taste sour, and has a flat appearance and moist texture. The Injera here in the states is not as tart, and rather fluffy, like a different type of flour was used instead of the teff flour. It didn't have that distinct taste I remember, but I guess American taste buds would probably prefer the version we had yesterday. BTW, my 8 year old son loved it. I didn't think he would because he is a picky eater, but he did. 

Next Sunday, our agency will be sponsoring a lunch get-together for local families at an Ethiopian restaurant nearby. That should be exciting because the in-country representative will be there, and it should be nice meet other Gladney Ethiopia families. The local Gladney group, had a get together last Summer, which was very nice, but not specific to Ethiopian adoption. I'll be sure to post pictures if I remember to take any. 

The next outing I hope to attend, would be the Ethiopian cultural camp in Virginia this summer. It seems like it will be great event to take my son to as we anticipate the arrival of his sister. He was already excited, but yesterday made him even more anxious to travel. I'l post the link to the camp if anyone else is interested.

1 comment:

Sweet Patience said...

Their food is great. We went to their DC location back in July while we were there for Boule. I took pictures and all. It was wonderful with live music.