Friday, November 14, 2008

30 years since Jonestown


Do you remember Jim Jones and Jonestown? November 18, 1978.. I was young at the time, but I remember learning about the tragedy, and watching the movie "The Jim Jones Story". Even as a young child, I remember how sad I felt about what had happened there, and realized how easliy folks could be brainwashed by sociopaths. Well, it has been 30 years since that horrible tragedy occurred in the jungles of Guyana, and there are many documentaries remembering the event. Most document the stories of Jonestown survivors. Over 900 of Jones' followers, and US Congressman Ryan of California, were victims that day. Soledad's report is quite interesting, and gives more insight into what happened. MSNBC also aired a piece entitled "Witness to Jonestown". Very sad. I pray for all those who were victims as well as the survivors of that tragic November day.

4 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Actually, your comment to me hit the nail on the head - I am probably a moderate but fiscal conservative. These are exciting times. I am hoping to invite myself to my brother's house in Alexandria and be part of the mob on the mall on January 20. Hope you are on the waitlist very very soon!!!

ellen

Jebena said...

I tried to watch it---too much for me. On a lighter note: Shawn, you've been tagged!

Freda said...

I remember hearing about this when I was growing up as well. What an awful tragedy.

Bennett said...

I saw her speical, how very sad. Iknew nothing about this, until I saw the special. It was very sad indeed.

Celeste