Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Pre Referral Anxiety Disorder

Can someone answer a question for me?  Do you become a little crazy as you get close to receiving a referral? 

I think I'm developing pre-referral anxiety disorder. I can't sleep, I'm jittery. I jump at the ring of my phone, only to sigh and say..oh it's just my mom or a close and dear friend. I also keep trying to figure out what to do if they accidentally skip our name. Is that funny or what. I started to call Natalie just to make sure she still had us on the list.  Can you hear me calling...
(Ugh..hi Natalie, this is Shawn. I know I haven't called you since we made wait list, but I just want to make sure we didn't get erased by mistake? Oh and did you remember to log us in on 1/12? Oh, great. Just making sure)

I'm also having tons of dreams. What's going on here? When we finally do get the call, I'm not sure I'll be able to speak. I keep thinking all the words will blend and merge when they give us our referral making our caseworker sound like Charlie Brown's teacher......blah, blah, blah.

I need some medicine to treat this. Any suggestions? Question #2, for those who have received their referrals, did it come during the day or night? Just curious. 

11 comments:

Heidi said...

Yes, you definitely go a little crazy! You forgot a symptom - absent mindedness! Don't worry, they haven't forgotten you. That call is going to happen any minute now!!! And as far as timing of the call goes, it's all over the place. I've heard everything from 10 AM to 7 PM EST and everything in between so just keep that cell phone near! Can't wait to hear your good news!!!

Tam said...

um, I had a panic attack last night because I realized we're like number 8 (for a baby under 12 mos.) I can't even imagine what you are going through!

More Dorrs said...

We got our call at about 12:30 PST, so it would have been 2:30 Gladney time. Natalie is our caseworker too!

I felt super jittery when the people before us got their referral. But, after a couple of days the jitters stopped. Which is good because it was several weeks before we got our call :).

Enjoy this time...your phone will soon be ringing!

-Beka

Jim said...

Yes, can certainly relate. Natalie is also our caseworker and she is wonderful. Call her if you need a little reassurance. Our call came around 11:45 Central.

Beth said...

Our call came in around 1:00 Gladney time. I'm so excited for you guys. We just got back from Ethiopia and we took pictures of so many cute, healthy, happy babies! I can't wait to see which one is yours. SOON!

Robbin Hopkins said...

Can I just say that I definitely saw your little one while there last week. Now I don't know which one she is but EVERY SINGLE ONE was gorgeous!!!!! I hope I have pictures. I hope you find out TOMORO!!!! and I hope that you share! Every baby was matched in the 4 care centers. So your baby's information is just around the corner.

BTW, my call came in at 3:25

Freda said...

Shawn,
You are too funny and right on point. I can definitely relate to wanting to call and find out if everything is on track. I felt like I had been skipped and freaked, but I didn’t call. I kept telling myself that it would come soon and that we were next. Just like everyone said, all of those feelings went out the window when I saw his face. She called my work cell and I didn’t realize I had provided that number so I was completely surprised when I heard, Freda this is Natalie. All I could do was laugh and run to the computer. My husband was out of town (driving) and couldn’t be on the call, all I wanted to do was call him and tell everybody that we have our referral. After I saw the picture all I heard was blah blah blah. I tried to focus, but all I could focus on was the picture. Every now and then I would make a sound so she would know I was still breathing. It was great but not what I expected, I thought I would break down and cry but all I wanted was to hang up the phone and stare at the picture. My call came around 12:30 EST and yours will come soon.

Heidi said...

Hope the jitters are settling down a bit. Like Beka said, when I got to the top I had major butterflies but then I somehow adjusted. I think we might be able to relax a little tomorrow since it is New Years Day in Ethiopia...not sure if that's as big a deal there as it is here so I might be wrong. Anyway, it won't be long now, hang in there!

Brenda said...

Welansa & I are fine. My referral came at night. I will never forget. I was watching America's Next Top Model and taking my braid out.

Gracie's Mom said...

I was definately a basket case right before we got "the call" Hubby and I had just sat down at the movie theatre when I noticed we had a missed call from the agency. We ran out to call back and as soon as our specialist got on the line I started blubbering. I cried through the entire call. Then hubby and I rushed home to open up the email. When we laid eyes on her it was a wrap we were done for.

Jebena said...

Yep...we were so crazy we had the nerves to call our caseworker and tell her that we "think" we should change our minds about adopting---or at least move the age up. Little did we know that we had already been matched and it would only be a few days before it was an official "call of referral"...hehehehe, laughing at how crazy we were back then.

And the dreams, yep, had them every single night for eight days in a row----No, she doesn't look like ANY of the little girls that were in my night dreams....but that's quiet alright---we were blessed with a SWEET, SWEET child that has a bright future ahead!

Hang in there until your change comes!