Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inauguration 09'

I was there!!!!! And boy what a day it was. This was just about the only event I'd ever do, what I did,  to attend. Let's see we woke up around 4am. Well, actually I was awake off and on throughout the night with an awful gastroenteritis. (Nausea, vomiting, the works). Nevertheless, I just couldn't miss being a part of history. So I pulled my dehydrated, aching body up, and headed to the National Mall. 

Once we arrived, I had the work-out of my life; and I'm a person who is pretty active. I walked so much (at least 20 miles), that I felt like I should have given an organization $1000 for research on some worthy cause after the walking was done. Trainer, Jillian Michaels of Biggest Loser fame,  would have been proud if I were on her team. 

Once we arrived on the grounds, we survived hypothermia and frost bite to see something truly awesome. It was totally worth it!!! People were so excited, and there were folks of every race, creed and color there. Spontaneous shouts of joy, Yes We Can, and O-BA-MA could be heard from far and wide. Tears of joy streamed from faces, and people were genuinely happy, and hopeful. I've lived in DC for awhile, and I'd never experienced inauguration quite like this. It was truly a sight to see. 

Now, I'm sure you may ask, did you go to any of the balls? And all I can say is, I crashed. As soon as I walked in the door, I went straight to bed.  Shoes, jacket, scarf all on. The only thing I took off was my hat. (Well I guess I'm not 21 anymore. Boy, those were the days. Stay up all day, and all night. Sleep 2 hours, then get up and do it again). Well, there's always 2013..gotta plan ahead.

3 comments:

Sweet Patience said...

Wow! You were there and this will be a day and experience that you will never forget! I am sure that you feel it was worth every sacrifice to be there.
I watched it on tv all day! I tried to imagine being there! We were in DC this past summer for Boule, so I was trying to visualize where everything took place. Thanks for sharing!
Kristy

Jebena said...

This is how I think about it: You were breathing in/breathing out air in which I President was also breathing in/breathing out. You were sharing the same energy that was released in the air---Total WOW!!!

***SweetPatience: I too was there for Boule and I thought the sight of a sea of pink/green was amazing and hard to put into words...!***

Shawn said...

Sweet Patience and CocoPrincess,
It was an awesome experience! I remember when your Boule was in DC because I played host to several of my friends in town for the event. My pink and green sisters looked beautiful, but you must know I'm partial to Crimson and Cream (LOL)!